Trowbridge Town Bowls Club

 Club History 1924 - Present Day

1924
Trowbridge Town was admitted to the West Wilts Bowling League. The first match was played against Melksham
.
1925
The West Wilts Bowling League was split into two sections with Trowbridge Town in Division Two.
1926
The club captain, Mr E.A.Eades donated a trophy to the club. This was the Handicap Trophy. Mr H.Matthews and Mr E.Eades played for Wiltshire against a South African representative team at Salisbury. Trowbridge Town was admitted to the Wilts County League. 
1927
Because a pole could not be put on an adjoining owners land it was not possible to have electric lighting in the park pavilion. However a gas main was possible and a gas ring was connected.
1928
F Stear played against a New Zealand Bowls Team at Salisbury.
1930
The Park Pavillion is to be extended as there is overcrowding in the present accommodation and no room for serving refreshments.A Ladies committee for catering for visitors to be formed.
1931
A scoreboard was made by Linzeys the builders. Mr Long and Mr Hoar gave the uprights and had the board painted. Mr Hamilton (captain) and Mr Bull (v-captain) presented a flag staff and flag. 1st county game, the North v South trials, played at Trowbridge Town Bowls Club 

1935

The Club won the Wiltshire County League by defeating Swindon Town in the final by 40 shots. The club also won the Bath & District League on shot difference. G Chapman was also County Singles Champion
1973
An EBA Presidents team played Trowbridge Town to celebrate the clubs Golden Jubilee.
1975
The pavilion was damaged by a fire on Tuesday May 6th.
1983
A Wiltshire Bowling Association Presidents team played Trowbridge Town to celebrate the clubs Diamond Jubilee.
1985
Mrs J Tugwell won the Ladies county singles.
1986
Mr Bob Meaden donated the Presidents chain of office to commemorate the club winning their section of the Wiltshire 4 rink league. 
1989
Clubs first tour to North Devon in May.
1993
Mrs Mavis Nuttall is the Wiltshire Ladies President.
1994
24 hr Bowlathon in Trowbridge Leisure Centre in aid of Dorothy House.
1995
Trowbridge Town entered the newly formed North Wilts Mixed League.
1996
D Godwin, M Meaden, and G Shadwell won the men’s county triples.
1999
B Godwin and D Godwin won the men’s county pairs.
2002
The proposed extension to the pavilion for changing rooms and toilets is to be funded jointly by Trowbridge Town Council, West Wilts District Council and Trowbridge Town Bowls Club. 
2003
The new extension to the pavilion( the changing rooms and toilets,) was opened by the Mayor of Trowbridge to coincide with the clubs 80th anniversary. Trowbridge Town Ladies were finalists in the county top club competition. D Godwin won the men’s county two-wood singles. 
2004
The new kitchen was opened by the club president Mr D. Hare on May 23rd. The Fred Mills Garden is created in the Spring. 
2005
Mrs Mavis Nuttall is the clubs first lady president.

2013
Roy Jones becomes Mens County President of Bowls Wiltshire

 

Why not Join Us  -  Its free to try                    click here

Whether you are an experienced player or new to our great game, regardless of age, we invite you to join us. We welcome new ideas and value enthusiasm from members and volunteers, new and old.                   So come and have ago.